Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

and the semester from hell begins

Yesterday it began. I 'm not sure if I was even thinking clear when I did this, but in either case, i now have two jobs. I work part time in the morning at one restaurant, and the night shifts at the other. It's quite disorienting to unlearn/relearn things that apply to one place only. One would think that serving tables has some things standard across the board.

Not so much.

About the only things that are the same are the "hi" and "what can i get you to drink?". Everything is scripted at my new job. Bussers make me feel lazy. Dressed in all black makes me look pale and gothic. It's very disturbing.

As an added bonus I didn't quite get around to telling my other manager yet. I'm pretty sure she'll have a cow. Or maybe she won't. I'm not sure which responce would be all kinds of uncomfortable.

That's not the only thing. In an effort to speed my University graduation date, I took a winter class. And I'm taking 16 credits during the spring.

That's while working two jobs.

What was I thinking?

On a happy note, my free time will consist of sewing a dress which i will most likely wear once, for my cousin's wedding at the end of March. Truthfully, i should have just bought one, or at least recon'ed my prom dress that i design and sewed, but nooooo. I have to make a whole new one. Really I do. It's a formal wedding and mom suggested that 'seperates' no matter how nice, would most likely be inapporpriate. That was her way of telling me i needed to wear a dress.

Actually, that's not the whole story. On of my friends is attending as my brother's guest and she hasn't anything to wear as well. So I am teaching her to sew her dress before she scampers of to another semester at her university. Luckily, hers is relatively uncomplicated and spring break is just before the wedding.

Mine on the other hand, i'm not so sure what I am doing with it yet. True to my designing nature, i did create one and locate patterns which i could alter to suit the needs, but then i fell in love with this 200$+ 'little black dress' from Nordstrom. Imagine my child-like joyous expression when I found the pattern at Joann's. Of course either way mine will be the 'little purple dress' since my is really more of a aubergine colour, but hey.

Now I am stuck with 5 yards of fabric, less than a month, and unsure of which dress i am making. My descion was not helped by the fact I saw a 'plus size' model wearing the dress and found it unflattering. I'm not her size by any stretch of the imagination, but with my warped perceptions of body imagine, i was replacing her head with mine.

Why can't i ever do anything the easy way?

1 Comments:

Blogger Jane added two cents...

I think sometimes life is about doing things the hard way. If everything was easy, would it be so interesting?

10:19  

Post a Comment

<< Home